Give Ear to My Words - Alma 36 (Lesson 29 Part 1)

In Alma 36, Alma is speaking to Helaman giving fatherly advice to his son. I want to disect and discuss. This is frequently the method that I use in teaching and studying the scriptures.

1 My son, give ear to my words; for I swear unto you, that inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land.
2 I would that ye should do as I have done, in remembering the captivity of our fathers; for they were in bondage, and none could deliver them except it was the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob; and he surely did deliver them in their afflictions.
3 And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day.

First Alma, in verse 1, invites his son to listen: Give ear to my words. Alma then promises Helaman that if he keeps the commandments he will prosper in the land.

In verse 2 we are reminded that gratitude is a great way to remain humble. And a great way to remember the Lord and his works is to look at the past. Yet another good reason to read the scriptures: remembrance -> gratitude -> humility -> prayer -> blessings ->rinse and repeat.

The third verse Alma is again beseeching Helaman to listen to him; after all he is young and you can save yourself a lot of problems if you listen when you are younger. Older persons can learn to live the gospel just fine, but a lot of pain and anguish can be avoided if you learn in your youth.

Alma learned the hard way and he recounts the visit he and the sons of Mosiah had with an angel while they worked hard at destroying the Church. The angel spoke with a thunderous voice so much so the earth shook and they fell to the ground. They are told to stop their work against the Church of God and Alma recounts this:

12 But I was racked with eternal torment, for my soul was harrowed up to the greatest degree and racked with all my sins.
13 Yea, I did remember all my sins and iniquities, for which I was tormented with the pains of hell; yea, I saw that I had rebelled against my God, and that I had not kept his holy commandments.
14 Yea, and I had murdered many of his children, or rather led them away unto destruction; yea, and in fine so great had been my iniquities, that the very thought of coming into the presence of my God did rack my soul with inexpressible horror.
15 Oh, thought I, that I could be banished and become extinct both soul and body, that I might not be brought to stand in the presence of my God, to be judged of my deeds.
16 And now, for three days and for three nights was I racked, even with the pains of a damned soul.

Alma describes vividly the pain he was experiencing. So much so that he wished he never existed becoming "extinct both soul and body". Clearly Alma wants his son, Helaman, to avoid any degree of pain. He is trying to get a message across and he continues to tell of his experience from that point.

Alma remembers during this horrifying experience the teachings of his own father about Christ and his atoning sacrifice that was to take place, making repentance a possibility. He then cries out to Christ pleading for mercy. This is what the plan of salvation is all about. Mercy vs Justice. You decide. See 2 Nephi 2:27 Alma could have stayed in his pain and anguish. He could have let Satan bring him down and tell him that the Atonement couldn't help him now. He could have quit and felt unworthy of the Lord's help. But he didn't - he cried out for help. And help came.
18 Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.
19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.
20 And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!

What a marvelous experience this must have been - such a contrast to what he had been experiencing! He then sees God upon his throne surrounded by concoures of angels. Alma LONGS to be there. Compare that to his previous desire to cease to exist before having to appear before God and be judged! The effects of repentance can be immediate. Alma then comes to and rises up and exclaims that he has been born of God.

Alma labors all his days to save his people and to teach the word of God. The Lord supports him in all his afflctions:
27 And I have been supported under trials and troubles of every kind, yea, and in all manner of afflictions; yea, God has delivered me from prison, and from bonds, and from death; yea, and I do put my trust in him, and he will still deliver me.


Remember Alma is still teaching Helaman. He is telling him and us that bad things happen to good people, but if you trust in the Lord he will deliver you. He adds to his testimony the testimony of their fathers. Reminding us again to: Read the Scriptures -> Hope -> Faith / Trust in the Lord -> Blessings ->Rinse and Repeat.

Alma continues talking to Helaman in Chapter 37 and that will be discussed shortly. In this short lesson Alma has taught us the following:

  1. Learn the gospel - it will keep you safe, bring you to remembrance of God, bring hope and faith
  2. Repent - Take advantage of the Atonement, don't let the despair prevent you from calling out for Christ's help
  3. Teach our own children
  4. Teach those around us of the plan of salvation - it is a great way to obtain repentance.
  5. Trust in the Lord - he will deliver you.


I look forward to any questions and comments.

6 comments:

Tanner said...

Nicely done dad! I love that you have a church and political blog now! It's Awesome! You tell me all these cool things all the time but being able to read a new thing I didn't know about almost daily is awesome!

8^)

Becky said...

LOVE this blog, Dan! Love your header, too!

Verse 27 is one of my favorites...it is something I strive to teach my children. We cannot always pick the circumstances, we cannot control other people--but we can always CHOOSE to be happy, choose how we will act and react to the life around us.

This is a beautiful post about one of my favorite chaptes in the Book of Mormon.

Also, as a parent I do have to chuckle at the "give ear to my words"...how often I am trying to just get my kids to LISTEN TO ME!! (which, on the flip side, makes me wonder how often Heavenly Father is patiently waiting for me to JUST LISTEN...).

Great job as always, Dan :)

Dan the Man said...

Thanks Becky!

I must give credit where it is due. The awesome header on my page was created by my beautiful and lovely wife, Rachel.

Thanks Hun!

Anonymous said...

good morning people. I'm really into shoes and I was looking for that exact make. The prices as regards the shoes were around 300 pounds on every page. But definitively I base this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase them. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hi ppl. I'm really into shoes and I have been digging allowing for regarding that singular model. The prices for the sneakers are all over 310 bucks everwhere. But completely I bring about this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hi there dudes. I'm really into shoes and I have been digging as far as something that particular make. The prices seeking the sneakers are around 340 dollars on every page. But finally I base this site selling them for half price. I absolutely want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy these. what can you say about it?